Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Thailand!!

I realise that we left you stranded somewhere in Laos and haven't given you an update since...even though our trip finished two months ago!

Apologies...its just that while backpacking you get swept up in the mix of it all and the blog becomes a secondary thing because you don't feel like sitting in a room, paying for internet and writing while all the fun is outside in the sweltering heat! In my defence...I had written an entry for Thailand and then just before submission it disappeared...the frustration sent me reeling and I just couldn't deal with the slow internet and try again! So here I am two months later, telling you a little but about our time in Thailand.

OK, Thailand is prepared....prepared for tourists and prepared on how to make us happy. After Laos where the people where indifferent (but lovely) the efficiency of Thailand came as a nice change. There were even "yes sirs" and "no maams"...Not that I'm a prude or anything but it is appealing when all you've had for the past month and a half is "Laaady, one dollar" or "I don't know" or anything in-between then someone actively listening to you and wanting to help you is a welcome reprieve.

Thailand was a mixed bag there were things about it I loved and things about it that got under my skin.

Chiang Mai was our first stop and we were lucky enough to be there on a Sunday and experience their massive Sunday Night Market which is filled with trinkets, T-shirts and art or all sorts of variety and is a real treat to roam! We would have loved to have explored more of northen Thailand but we had bigger fish to fry!! Bigger than exploring Northern Thailand?



Yip, good friends of ours from South Korea were in Bangkok and we couldn't pass up the opportunity to party with them like rock stars in one of the world's most infamous cities!




Night one in Bangkok involved us drinking some vile whiskey or brandy or something out of a glass hip flask thing while simultaneously glugging a beer and watching all the young backpackers go crazy on the only street in Bangkok that they like to keep us, Kho San.



Bangkok has its charms but I found myself getting restless in it...we spent 5 (maybe 6 ) days there...more than I would have liked especially considering all the other amazing things in the country. For me, Bangkok wore thin quite quickly but Oliver and the boys revelled in it!!! So I guess Bangkok isn't for everyone!! That said, it was fantastic to be there with our "Korean" crew.





From Bangkok it was off to Koa Tao one of the last stops of our backpacking journey and it will definitely stay in my mind as a highlight!! We stayed in simple bungalows overlooking the fantastically blue waters surrounding Thailand! I snorkelled everyday and marvelled at the cool little fish and abstract corals!! I really loved that!!! Just relaxing, playing cards and indulging in Black Cock (a locally named whiskey) were exactly what we needed!! Amazing!!!






Then it was off to Malaysia on a rocky, overnight ferry!! More on that in the next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment